Annual Election & Board Candidate Information
Annual Vote and Trustee Election
Tuesday, May 21, 2024
Polls Open 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM
NOTICE OF THE ANNUAL MEETING OF THE TUCKAHOE UNION FREE SCHOOL DISTRICT
DATE OF ADOPTION OF BUDGET
TUESDAY, APRIL 16, 2024
DATE OF PUBLIC HEARING ON THE BUDGET
MONDAY, MAY 6, 2024
DATE OF ANNUAL MEETING AND BUDGET VOTE
TUESDAY, MAY 21, 2024
- Election Details: The election will take place at the following locations on Tuesday, May 21, 2024, between the hours of 6:00AM and 9:00PM:
School Election District A (comprised of all of the area lying west of the west line of Midland Avenue) to vote at Tuckahoe Community Center, 71 Columbus Avenue, Tuckahoe, NY.
School Election District B (comprised of all of the area lying east of the line of Midland Avenue and north of the southeast boundary line of the Siwanoy Country Club) to vote at William E. Cottle School, 2 Siwanoy Boulevard, Eastchester, NY.
If you are unsure of your polling location, please contact me directly and I will confirm your registered polling location up to and including the day of the election:
914-337-6600 – Office
914-610-9880 – Cell (please call this number the day of the election)
- School Board Election & Candidate Eligibility Requirements: There is one (1) Board seat available for a three-year term commencing July 1, 2024, and expiring on June 30, 2027, to succeed member Cynthia Tait whose term expires on June 30, 2024.
A school board candidate must be a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years old, a qualified voter in the school district, and able to read and write. You must be and have been a resident of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one (1) year immediately before the election. At the time you take office, you cannot be employed by the board on which you serve or live in the same household with a family member who is also a member of the same school board.
- Petitions: Below you will find the petition, to be returned to the District Clerk by 3:00PM on Monday, April 22, 2024. The petition must be signed by at least 25 qualified district voters.
- Position on Ballot: New York State Education Law specifies that the determination of position of candidates’ names on the ballot be done by a drawing. This will take place at 10:00AM on Tuesday, April 23, 2024, in the District Office. Candidates may name a designee if they cannot be present and must indicate how they wish their name printed on the
- Expenditure Statements: State law requires all candidates for election to a board of education to file a sworn statement with the District Clerk disclosing their campaign expenses. If expenditures made by the candidate or by others on the candidate’s behalf exceed $500, a statement also should be filed with the Commissioner of Education. Expenditures of not more than $25 may be made without the candidate’s permission if the donor or donors file a sworn statement with the District Clerk and the Commissioner stating that the candidate did not approve the expenditure. See Expenditure Statements below).
- Voter Registration: Residents may register to vote with the District Clerk on any school business day before May 13, 2024, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. at the District Clerk’s Office.
A qualified voter must be a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age, a resident of the school district for at least 30 days prior to the election and qualified to register to vote in accordance with Section 5-106 of the Election Law.
- Electioneering: Law specifies that electioneering (defined as attempting to influence a vote) shall be prohibited within 100 feet of the entrance to any polling place. This includes buttons, literature, posters, etc., in addition to verbal
- Absentee and Early Mail Ballots: Applications for early mail and absentee ballots are available from the District Clerk and must be received by the District Clerk no earlier than April 21, 2024. All applications for absentee and early voting ballots must be received by May 14, 2024, for mail delivery of the ballot and May 20, 2024 for hand delivery of the ballot. If the applicant for an absentee ballot is found to be a registered voter with a valid reason for absentee voting, a ballot will be issued or mailed as soon as it is available. By law, ballots which are to be mailed back to the District Clerk must be sent out at least seven days prior to the vote. All ballots must be received by the District Clerk no later than 5:00PM on the day of the election, Tuesday, May 21, 2024. Absentee ballots are mailed out automatically to the list of permanently sick and disabled voters provided by the Westchester County Board of Elections.
- Candidates' Workshop: The Westchester-Putnam School Boards Association Workshop are provided for prospective candidates. Candidates should sign up directly with Westchester-Putnam School Boards Association by following this link: Prospective School Board Workshop or by calling 914-345-8737.
- FURTHER INFORMATION: Please feel free to contact me with any questions: 914-337-6600 ext. 1251 or by email at email@example.com